Wednesday 6 April 2011

Things I have been listening to lately:


Lately I have been enjoying music. I say lately, it's not a new thing.

Perhaps what I should have said is that I have been really getting into all aspects of music. 
I've only just started writing again and I've already got myself flabbergasted!

In Swansea there is a place called Mozart's. It has swiftly become one of my favourite venues, nay, places! The poetry crunch and folk/accoustic night (Skye) together with the candlelit-red-wine-bare-floorboard atmosphere and a gathering of brilliant people make it magical. 
A couple of people I know have played it too, and they say playing is more amazing than being in the crowd - hard to imagine anything better so must be an experience beyond description!

I also went to see Noah and the Whale with my sister in Brudenell Social Club in Leeds and it was fantastic! The Brudenell is a working men's club so it's rather small or 'intimate' as I believe it's called in the industry! (not as 'intimate' as Mozarts - I ended up sitting IN a band the first time I went!) There were around 200 of us in BSC, which is a rather small bunch for the likes of NATW, making it more intense! 
After, we moseyed (trying to look cool) outside and hung-out - chilled, if you will. pretty soon we saw the HAPPIEST drummer I have ever seen. Throughout the gig he (Michael Petulla - newish edition to NATW) beamed non-stop from beginning to end and sang along - not your usual drummer I think you'll agree. After a few pictures with said percussionist, Fred and Urby, we had a chat with Charlie Fink and Tom. Both very nice guys - my sister said to Charlie 'You deafened my sister at the Isle of Wight…'  he looked shocked, turned to me and said 'I'm so sorry, but we like it loud! Really loud!'. It's ok - I didn't mind being deafened in one ear by them. Most bands would've been reprimanded for such audio-damage but fortunately, I did not which to berate Fink nor his lovely Whales. 


That was me taking a break from thought and singing the violin solo from First Day of Spring, as a whale. Fitting, I think you'll agree. 

Which reminds me - My darling sister *almost* told Tom, the violinist (I say that, they all play a multitude of instruments, but seeing as it's getting late and wikipedia is being reliably unreliable, none of what I have written tonight should be taken as fact. Not even the bits of my own life I am retelling) where was I? ah, the violinist - my sister turned, but luckily did not say to him - 'Everytime you play the solo in FDoS, YOU BREAK MY SISTERS HEART!' which is true, but not something I wish him to have shouted at him! 

Reminds me of the time I met Benedict Cumberbatch and introduced him to my (genuinely named) friend, Moriarty! That happened on the same night as I met Ruth WIlson and Frankie Boyle. I'm not name-dropping, merely naming the only famous people I have met in the past ten years (I don't get to mention it much in day-to-day conversation)!

And last, but CERTAINLY not least, I must rave about a few (fairly new to me) artists I have been listening to recently:

Laura Hocking - Her voice is so beautiful and clear. Both the melodies and the lyrics seem simple and charming, but on further listening they reveal a complexity that one could happily ignore or just not hear for a lifetime (I have spent a lot of times trains recently and have had a lot of time to REALLY listen!). She's just released an EP with The Long Goodbye.
Songs I recommend: Oh La, Lolita, Leonie Lauder's Morning Jaunt, Strongmen & Acrobats


Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Supported NATW and did a great cover of Bruce Springsteen's 'Atlantic City'. He's awesome, though I haven't had much of an opportunity to listen to much lately. 

Tiny Birds: I must admit, these guys are quickly becoming a favourite of mine. I first heard them because they were in For Folk's Sake's 'Best of new band panel 2010' and then their Christmas album. 'Ariadne' has been in my head for roughly four months. Though not ideal, it's a rather dandy song to have in one's head for a prolonged period of time. That being said, the three or four weeks since the release of 'Hymns for the Careless' have been filled with angst and frustration. Being a poor student, and it being the end of term, I had to wait until yesterday to buy it. Was it worth the wait? Yes, yes it was. 

Their myspace page describes their sound as 'Smatterings of ukulele and thick daubs of techicolour banjo, nestled alongside lyrics of mournful nostalgia and regret'. You know what, I think they've got it spot on! 
their 'sad songs with happy music' are just that. The vocals are real and vulnerable, but clearly strong enough to carry the lyrics in a pleasantly tumultuous journey. Alas, I do not know the members of the band's name, who plays what or each of their preferred flavours of ice-cream, but they each bring something pretty special - try listening to one of the songs one instrument at a time and you'll see what I mean! The highlights of the album are 'Ariadne' - it's promises of keeping Venice afloat shows the softer, though not less strong, side of their music. And, in contrast, Sunshine and Silence - a delectable bouncer of am almost complaint that I cannot give justice to through my incoherent dribble. The rest of the album is equally great, but I feel I am showing some bias towards this band…
The only slightly negative I have to say about the album is that the character on the cover looks like my old german teacher in a pair of bunny ears. Not a biggie though - he looks better with bunny ears than he ever did without! 


That is all. You may leave now.

TTFN xx

PS. I HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN A TICKET TO SEE LAURA MARLING ON THE 16TH!!! 


PPS. My writing is crap tonight - I beg your forgiveness!

No comments:

Post a Comment