Sunday 25 April 2010

Things I built:

Yesterday was a strange day.

In the morning we said goodbye to our lovely guest, and as she left she said something that made me feel warm and very loved. I'll not tell you because it'll take away from it, and make me seem egotistical.

Then it got a bit surreal. We were invited over to the neighbours' for a BBQ lunch (they didn't have a barbecue, so technically it was an AGA lunch...) and some sort of lemon/lime take on Pimms. Marvellously refreshing!
I know, that doesn't seem weird - it was the building of a trebuchet that was surreal. Before I knew what was happening, I was stood in a field with my Pimms, waiting for a golf ball to be flung at me by a huge trebuchet!
The first three attempts didn't make it out of the sling. The fourth did, but only just! Five hours later, it worked perfectly!
I should probably explain why we are building the trebuchet. It's for the World Egg Throwing Championship that is held in our village and one of the events requires a trebuchet of sorts. Not a catapult, they're not within the guidelines... It's going to be messy!

So after that rather tiring afternoon I went home for a (much deserved) rest. Just as I got comfy, Mummy B phoned, asking me to go back and take some pictures. It wasn't until I got there that they handed me a bee keeper's suit and told me I was photographing them and their bee hives. Tits.
It wasn't too bad. Except my hair was in my eyes, I couldn't see through my camera, and apparently my hair smells good to honey bees. Then they opened the first hive, and the lovely little bees started to get a bit pissed off! One landed on the net visor right in front of my left eye, and stared at me until I flicked it off.
I'm guessing this didn't make it happy as it proceeded to land beside my ear and buzz so loudly, that I didn't hear the bee keeper telling me that bees apparently love stinging ankles, if you're between them and their hive.
I took as many photos as I could and ran!






Photos are on Flickr.

I have one question: What would be your desert island disc? 
That question has been bugging me for over a week now. I want to know other people's for a project-type thing I'm thinking of doing...
Answers on the back of a postcard please. 
Or in the comments, or via text. 
THANKS!

F xx

No comments:

Post a Comment